The Resilient Athlete
Yoga - Meditation - SAQ
∆ Performance PowerTools ∆
Equip your teams with the scientifically proven tools that help nurture individuals to look inside and find the confidence and motivation to reach their highest potential. The mindful approach to coaching focuses on competition as an inner focus, that the only competition is with ourselves and the challenge is to focus fully on the task before us. Coaches that are implementing these newly scientifically researched methodologies are seeing improved performance on all levels with their athletes. These mindfulness techniques have the power to infuse athletes with spirit, create a thriving environment, and winning organizations. As a coach your schedule is full with recruiting, traveling, mentoring, and much more, finding ways to implement new techniques is a challenge, that's where I come in.
I will work closely with coaches and administrators to implement this program in the best way possible for their organization. I recommend starting with a the off-season intensive where a team will get all the information needed to implement these game-changing tools.
12 hour off-season intensive.
The Resilient Athlete Intensive is the culmination of what I have learned as a professional athlete, strength coach, yoga teacher, and meditator. I've spent years after my career in athletics to access elements I felt were missing from my own life; a deep understanding of my own mind and of the magic that lies with in the human body. The ancient wisdom that has now been proven by science links meditation and yoga practices to reduced stress, increased focus, clearer thinking, higher emotional intelligence, and the healing of past trauma. I'd like to work with you, your staff, and your team over 3-5 days to approach the mental game in a holistic and practical way.
Key Program Elements:
- Neuroplasticity 101 - The science of stress and the opportunity for 'flow'
- Anatomy of the Mind -The foundation of you
- The Nerves to Win - Understanding the Autonomic Nervous System
- PowerTools for Self-Mastery- Breathing, relaxation, and meditation
- Automate *The Zone* - The perfect pre-game ritual
- The Wise Warm-up - Body/mind movements for optimal performance
- The CORE of Confidence - Tapping into our power center and self-responsibility
- Be Your Own Coach - Self-analysis for self-empowerment
- The (I)ntention of Team - Directing your focus and goals setting
Experiential Performance Results
The program is a combination of theory, practice, and can include additional emphasis on performance training with strength and SAQ (speed, agility. and quickness) drills. As a coach and athlete (basketball) I worked with the top trainers to develop my game and training toolbox. With performance training as the platform I will help athletes understand and experience for themselves why these mindful practices are literally game-changers. This is a lot of information to cover in a short time and once we have done the initial sessions we will discuss ways to continue to see improvement with your team and work together to get the results you're looking for.
Coaches can choose the SAQ focus that meets the needs of your team*:
- Linear speed, acceleration, and explosiveness
- Movement fundamentals: core strength and alignment
- Mobility, balance, coordination, and flexibility (injury prevention)
- Vertical explosion and landing
- Change of direction and lateral quickness
- Sport-specific fundamental movement and skill training
- Muscular strength and endurance
* Experience working directly with Strength and Conditioning coaches to gain clear objectives and parameters of SAQ program desires and needs.
Note on Coaches Sessions - I strongly recommend sessions for the coaching staff if they cannot attend the program as a whole. It is important for everyone in the program to have an understanding of these practices and concepts for the implementation to be effective. Upon completion of this team intensive, coaches will have a common language to share with the athletes to help motivate, educate and mentor when discussing mental challenges and obstacles in their development and performance. Each participant will have tools for managing stress and emotions, this is about more than sports performance, these are life-skills.
re·sil·ient - rəˈzilyənt
(of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
- example: "one of the reasons why the group has been so resilient, he said, was due to the coaches focus on mental training"
synonyms: strong, tough, hardy, flexible, expansive, rebounding
yo·ga - \ˈyō-gə\
series of postures and breathing exercises practiced to achieve control of the body and mind, tranquillity, and high levels of self-mastery.
- example: "And few of us can deny the benefits of yoga now that they have been studied and proven by science."
synonyms: nothing else like it
med·i·tate - /ˈmedəˌtāt/
Think deeply or focus one’s mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of mantra, for spiritual purposes, as a method of relaxation, or mental training.
- example: "when the athlete started meditating she was better able to manage her emotions"
synonyms: sit in silents, be aware, attend the present moment, calm the nervous system
neu·ro·plas·tic·i·ty - \nu̇r-ō-pla-ˈsti-sə-tē\
a term in psychology explaining the brain's ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life. It is the process in which your brain's neural synapses and pathways are altered as an effect of environmental, behavioral, and neural changes.
- example: "thanks to neuroplasticity research, there is now proof that humans have the power to change."
synonyms: sustainable change, habit rewiring, mental training, nervous system magic
mind·ful·ness - /mīn(d)f(ə)lnəs/
a. the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something.
b. a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.
- example: "have you heard that all the top athletes have started practicing mindfulness?"
synonyms: alertness, concentration, carefullness, diligence, descrimination, effort, enthusiasm, watchfulness
flow - \ˈflō\
also known as the zone, is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does.
- example: "the team has been unstoppable this season, it's as if they are always in a state of flow."
in·ten·sive - \in-ˈten(t)-siv\
a. program involving very great effort or work
b. concentrated on a single area or subject or into a short time; very thorough or vigorous.
- example: "the team took an intensive course in mindfulness that took them to the next level."
synonyms: concentrated, deepened; emphasized, enhanced, heightened, intensified, magnified; stressed; exhaustive, thorough rigorous,
Resources and Links